Skip to main content

Get clear on what you are entitled to

Many workers across the UK are unaware they can claim tax relief for specific job related expenses. Here we offer some clarity to this often unclear subject. If you need items such as uniforms, work clothing and tools as part of your job, you may be able to make a claim. sets out on their website that that you may be able to claim tax relief on the cost of; repairing or replacing small tools you need to do your job (for example, scissors or an electric drill) and cleaning, repairing or replacing specialist clothing (for example, a uniform or safety boots).

However, you cannot claim relief on the initial cost of buying small tools or clothing for work.

Are you eligible to make a claim?

On the government website, you can also assess whether you are eligible to claim for; 1. Uniforms, work clothing and tools, 2. Vehicles you use for work, 3. Travel and overnight expenses, 4. Professional fees and subscriptions, 5. Working at home, 6. Buying other equipment. Complete an assessment online to see if you are eligible to make a claim - More good news - you can also claim for up to the last 4 or 5 years, so what are you waiting for?

Helping professional people work smarter.